Sunday, January 10th, 2021
My desktop setup for 2021
As Jirka mentioned on his phlog, I published on my Czech blog
a post in which I summarized the current state of my hardware.
I decided to do so in English and on gopher as well at least for
my desktop. Maybe laptop/tablet/phone posts will follow but at the
moment I don't know, so no promises.
So, this post is being typed on:
* Raptor Blackbird with 8-core POWER9 CPU (2166-3800 MHz)
* RAM: 32 GB DDR4 ECC registered (2666 MHz)
* SSD: 1 TB NVMe + PCIe/NVMe adapter
* PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-650 Gold
* GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5450
1. Dell U2412M (24" 1920x1200)
2. Dell 2007FP (20" 1600x1200)
* Keyboard: Durgod Taurus K320
* Trackball: Kensington Orbit with ScrollRing
As just the first four items on the list cost me over $2650, this
machine is (hopefully) going to stay on my desk not just in 2021,
but also 2022, 2023, 2024...
(Luckily, I've got the rest for free - GPU, 2nd LCD - or bought it
earlier - keyboard, trackball, 1st LCD - because buying everything
at once would be too much.)
One of Blackbird's predecessors, PowerMac G5, was my primary machine
between 2009 and 2018, I'll try to do my best to top this. The only
change in this config will probably be replacing the case, as right
now the machine is built into an old ATX middle-tower, which is too
huge for it and for my desk. And maybe, in some more distant future,
I'll buy second memory module to get the benefit of dual-channel
memory access. But I can use the machine without both, it already
does everything I need it to do.
Btw. my software configuration is following;
* OS: Riscy Slack (Slackware current for ppc64le)
* GUI: IceWM 2.0.1 with "warp3x" theme
* WWW browser: Firefox 83
* Gopher browser: lynx 2.8.9
* Text editor: joe 4.6
This machine is everything I wanted since I left my PowerMac G5.