GOPHERSPACE.DE - P H O X Y
gophering on gopherpedia.com


======================================================================
=                     York City War Memorial                      =
======================================================================

                             Introduction                             
======================================================================
The York City War Memorial is a First World War memorial designed by
Sir Edwin Lutyens and located in York in the north of England.
Proposals for commemorating York's war dead originated in 1919 but
proved controversial. Initial discussions focused on whether a
memorial should be a monument or should take on some utilitarian
purpose. Several functional proposals were examined until a public
meeting in January 1920 opted for a monument. The city engineer
produced a cost estimate and the war memorial committee engaged
Lutyens, who had recently been commissioned by the North Eastern
Railway (NER) to design their own war memorial, also to be sited in
York.

Lutyens' first design was approved, but controversy enveloped
proposals for both the city's and the NER's memorials. Members of the
local community became concerned that the memorials as planned were
not in keeping with York's existing architecture, especially as both
were in close proximity to the ancient city walls, and that the NER's
memorial would overshadow the city's. Continued public opposition
forced the committee to abandon the proposed site in favour of one on
Leeman Road, just outside the walls, and Lutyens submitted a new
design of a War Cross and Stone of Remembrance to fit the location.
This was scaled back to the cross alone due to lack of funds.

Prince Albert, Duke of York (later King George VI), unveiled the
memorial on 25 June 1925, six years after the memorial fund was
opened. It consists of a stone cross 33 ft high on three stone blocks
and a stone base, beneath which are two further blocks and two shallow
steps. It sits in a memorial garden, with an entrance designed by
Lutyens using the remaining funds for the memorial. The memorial
itself is a grade II* listed building, having been upgraded when
Lutyens' war memorials were designated a national collection in 2015.
The piers and gate at the entrance to the garden are listed separately
at grade II.


                              Background                              
======================================================================
In the aftermath of the First World War, which saw over one million
British deaths, thousands of war memorials were built across Britain.
Amongst the most prominent designers of memorials was architect Sir
Edwin Lutyens, described by Historic England as "the leading English
architect of his generation". Lutyens designed The Cenotaph in London,
which became the focus for the national Remembrance Sunday
commemorations; the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing, the largest
British war memorial anywhere in the world; and the Stone of
Remembrance, which appears in all large Commonwealth War Graves
Commission cemeteries and in several of Lutyens' civic memorials. The
York City Memorial was the fifteenth and final War Cross designed by
Lutyens, all to a broadly similar design. Most were commissioned for
villages—the Devon County War Memorial in Exeter is the only other
example of a War Cross serving as a civic memorial in a city.

Proposals for a war memorial in York were mired in controversy from
the outset. A war memorial committee was established after a council
meeting in May 1919 and the committee opened a memorial fund for
donations in August, but six years elapsed before the City War
Memorial was unveiled. The first point of contention was one that
arose in many communities when considering a war memorial. Some felt
that the war dead should be commemorated through a building with some
community purpose rather than a purely decorative monument. Multiple
ideas were put forward and the council tasked the war memorial
committee with considering several proposals, including a new city
hall and a convalescent home. The committee generated several ideas of
its own including a new bridge over the River Ouse, homes for war
widows, a maternity hospital, and several ideas for an educational
institution. A series of public meetings produced still further ideas
until a meeting on 14 January 1920, where a consensus was established
in favour of a monument rather than any utilitarian proposal.

The committee requested that the city engineer produce a design for a
memorial garden with an archway and a cenotaph. The city engineer
reported back with a design which he estimated would cost around
£7,000 and the war memorial committee appointed Lutyens to oversee the
project. Lutyens had recently been commissioned to design a memorial
for the North Eastern Railway Company (NER) which was based in York
and planned to erect its own memorial in the city dedicated to those
of its staff who fought and died in the war.


                              Inception                               
======================================================================
The committee gave Lutyens a budget of £2,000 (1920). The architect
visited York on 12 August 1920. Accompanied by the lord mayor and the
city engineer, he reviewed nine potential sites for the memorial. His
preference was for a former cholera burial ground just outside the
city walls, but the committee opted for his second choice of a site
inside the walls in the moat by Lendal Bridge, 100 yd from the
proposed location for the NER's memorial. The committee asked Lutyens
to submit a formal proposal, which they received eleven weeks later.
The design consisted of Lutyens' Stone of Remembrance, complete with
its characteristic base of three shallow steps, raised on a large
podium taking it 18 ft off the ground. It was the only design for the
Stone of Remembrance to treat it as an object of veneration—in all of
Lutyens' other designs for the stone it functioned as an altar, albeit
more symbolic than practical—and one of the most ambitious of all his
war memorial projects. The committee endorsed the proposal on 24 June
1920, after which it was published in the local newspapers as part of
a public consultation. It was eventually approved at a further public
meeting on 25 November 1920.

Nonetheless, objections were raised after the approval. The York
Archaeological Society (YAS) and the Yorkshire Architectural and York
Archaeological Society (YAYAS) felt that the scheme was not in keeping
with the existing architecture in the area, particularly York's
ancient city walls, and that it would obstruct views for pedestrians
coming into the city from the railway station. Other members of the
community, including a local councillor, were concerned that the
city's memorial in its proposed location would be overshadowed by the
railway company's, given that the NER had granted Lutyens a budget of
£20,000—ten times that allocated by the city—for which he had proposed
a 54 ft obelisk and large screen wall. Given the proximity to the city
walls (Lutyens' initial proposal for the NER abutted the walls) both
the city's scheme and the NER's required the consent of the Ancient
Monuments Board (later English Heritage and then Historic England).
Charles Reed Peers, the board's chief inspector of ancient monuments,
attended a meeting at the NER's offices on 8 July 1922 to hear
representations for and against both schemes. He requested Lutyens
make modification to the NER's memorial, but approved the city's,
noting that the proposed site was not part of the walls' rampart and
had been created when Lendal Bridge was built in the mid 19th century.

Public opposition to the proposed site mounted, even after the Ancient
Monuments Board's approval, and the YAYAS continued to apply pressure,
calling another public meeting—which it scheduled for 3 May
1923—forcing the war memorial committee to reconsider. The committee
revisited a site on Leeman Road, outside the city walls, which had
originally been proposed in 1921. Lutyens sent his assistant Albert J
Thomas (an architect in his own right) to examine the site on 8 August
1923 and all parties agreed to it. By coincidence, the site was owned
by the NER, which donated it to the city in a mark of gratitude for
the good relations between the company and the city, the NER having
recently been amalgamated into the London and North Eastern Railway.
Lutyens submitted a revised design to account for the new location—a
War Cross and a Stone of Remembrance—which would have cost almost
£2,500. The scheme was scaled back to just the cross and the council
undertook to conduct the work using its own staff in order to keep
within the £1,100 that had been raised by public subscription.


                          History and design                          
======================================================================
The memorial was unveiled a year after the North Eastern Railway War
Memorial, at a ceremony on 25 June 1925, which was attended by large
crowds. Prince Albert, the Duke of York (later King George VI),
performed the unveiling and the Archbishop of York Cosmo Gordon Lang
gave a dedication. The Duchess of York had earlier that day unveiled
the Five Sisters Window in York Minster, dedicated to "women of the
Empire" killed in the First World War.

Of Portland stone construction, the memorial is in the form of a 33 ft
high, lozenge-shaped shaft with short, chamfered arms, moulded where
they meet the shaft to form a cross. The cross stands on a base of
four uneven rectangular blocks, below which is an undercut square
platform, which itself stands on two square blocks. At the very bottom
are two wide, shallow steps. The largest block of the base bears the
only inscription on the memorial: "TO THE CITIZENS OF YORK 1914 -
1918, 1939 - 1945" on the south face, and "THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR
EVERMORE" on the north; the dates of the Second World War were added
later. As a memento, a bottle, several coins, and a newspaper were
placed inside the structure. The memorial stands in a war memorial
garden on the south bank of the River Ouse; it overlooks the river and
the ruins of St Mary's Abbey on the opposite bank.

When the accounts were reconciled in April 1926, there remained £400
in the memorial fund after Lutyens' fee of £122 and expenses of £20,
so the committee commissioned Lutyens to design a set of entrance
gates and a pair of supporting piers at the entrance to the memorial
garden. The tall, rectangular piers are of limestone construction with
cornices and finials in the shape of balls. The gates themselves are
iron, painted black and gold, with iron panels linking them to the
piers and an overthrow above, in the centre of which is the City of
York's coat of arms. The gates open towards the memorial and are
aligned with it. To wind up the memorial fund, the committee spent the
remaining £17 on three wooden benches for the memorial garden.

The York City War Memorial was designated a grade II listed building
(a status which offers statutory protection from demolition or
modification, applied to structures of "special interest, warranting
every effort to preserve them") on 10 September 1970 and the gates and
piers were separately listed at grade II on 24 June 1983. The nearby
NER memorial, just the other side of the city walls, was listed at
grade II* (defined as "particularly important buildings of more than
special interest" and applied to about 5.5% of listed buildings) on 10
September 1970. In November 2015, as part of commemorations for the
centenary of the First World War, Lutyens' war memorials were
recognised as a national collection and all of his free-standing
memorials in England were listed or had their listing status reviewed;
their National Heritage List for England list entries were also
updated and expanded. As part of this process, the York City memorial
was upgraded from grade II to grade II*.


                               See also                               
======================================================================
* Grade II* listed buildings in the City of York
* Grade II* listed war memorials in England


                              References                              
======================================================================
Bibliography
*
*
*

Citations


 License 
=========
All content on Gopherpedia comes from Wikipedia, and is licensed under CC-BY-SA
License URL: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
Original Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York City War Memorial


.