GOPHERSPACE.DE - P H O X Y
gophering on gopherpedia.com


======================================================================
=                       Porlock Stone Circle                       =
======================================================================

                             Introduction                             
======================================================================
Porlock Stone Circle is a stone circle located on Exmoor, near the
village of Porlock in the south-western English county of Somerset.
The Porlock ring is part of a tradition of stone circle construction
that spread throughout much of Britain, Ireland, and Brittany during
the Late Neolithic and Early Bronze Age, over a period between 3300
and 900 BCE. The purpose of such monuments is unknown, although
archaeologists speculate that the stones represented supernatural
entities for the circles' builders.

Although Exmoor witnessed the construction of many monuments during
the Bronze Age, only two stone circles survive in this area, the other
being Withypool Stone Circle. The Porlock circle is about 24 m in
diameter and contains thirteen green micaceous sandstone rocks; there
may originally have been more. Directly to the north-east of the
circle is a cairn connected to a linear stone row. No evidence has
been found that allows for absolute dating of the monument's
construction, although archaeologists have suggested that the cairn
dates from the Early Bronze Age, the circle being a Middle Bronze Age
addition.

A small lead wheel found inside Porlock Stone Circle suggests that the
site was visited during the Romano-British period. The site was
rediscovered in the 1920s and since then a variety of stones have been
added to it; its current appearance is a composite of prehistoric and
modern elements. In 1928 the site was surveyed and excavated by the
archaeologist Harold St George Gray. A second excavation took place
under the leadership of Mark Gillings in 2013.


                               Location                               
======================================================================
The circle is located 2+3/4 mi south-west of the village of Porlock,
in the south-western English county of Somerset. It is 1 mi south of
the A39 road and is immediately to the west of the lane headed south
to Exford. The ring is at an altitude of almost 415 m above sea level,
and is positioned 10 km north of the Withypool Stone Circle.

The land on which the circle is located slopes from the north-east to
the south-west. From the circle, a range of different Bronze Age round
barrows, or tumuli, are visible at different points in the surrounding
landscape. Among the nearest are Alderman's Barrow, Black Barrow, the
two Bendels Barrows, the Rowbarrows, and the Kit Barrows. On the
east-northeast side of the circle is the Berry Castle earthwork camp,
which dates from the Late Iron Age or Romano-British period.


                               Context                                
======================================================================
While the transition from the Early Neolithic to the Late Neolithic in
the fourth and third millennia BCE saw much economic and technological
continuity, there was a considerable change in the style of monuments
erected, particularly in what is now southern and eastern England. By
3000 BCE, the long barrows, causewayed enclosures, and cursuses that
had predominated in the Early Neolithic were no longer built and had
been replaced by circular monuments of various kinds. These include
earthen henges, timber circles, and stone circles. Stone circles are
found in most areas of Britain where stone is available, except for
the island's south-eastern corner. They are most densely concentrated
in south-western England and on the north-eastern horn of Scotland,
near Aberdeen. The tradition of their construction may have lasted for
2,400 years, from 3300 to 900 BCE, with the major building phase
taking place between 3000 and 1,300 BCE.

These stone circles typically show very little evidence of human
visitation during the period immediately following their creation.
This suggests that they were not sites used for rituals that left
archaeologically visible evidence, but may have been deliberately left
as "silent and empty monuments". The archaeologist Mike Parker Pearson
suggested that in Neolithic Britain, stone was associated with the
dead, and wood with the living. Other archaeologists have suggested
that the stone might not represent ancestors, but rather other
supernatural entities, such as deities.


 Stone circles in Exmoor 
=========================
There are only two known prehistoric stone circles on Exmoor: Porlock
and Withypool Stone Circle. The archaeologist Leslie Grinsell
suggested that the circular stone monument on Almsworthy Common was
"probably"  the remains of a stone circle, although more recent
assessments regard it as one of the stone settings, a different type
of monument more common across Exmoor.

Archaeologists have dated these circles to the Late Neolithic or Early
Bronze Age, and have noted that they are comparable to the stone
circles found further south, on Dartmoor. In contrast to the two known
Exmoor circles, over seventy such monuments have been identified on
Dartmoor. This may be because Exmoor, unlike Dartmoor, has no natural
granite. Instead, it has Devonian slates and Hangman Grits, both of
which easily break up into small slabs, resulting in a general
shortage of big stones on Exmoor.


This scarcity of large stones may explain why Neolithic and Bronze Age
communities used small stones, termed 'miniliths', in the two Exmoor
circles and other monuments within the region. There are nevertheless
other constructions in the area, such as the clapper bridge at Tarr
Steps and the three-metre Long Stone at Challacombe, which do use
locally sourced large megaliths. This suggests that larger stones
would have been available had the sites' builders desired and that the
use of miniliths was therefore deliberate.

Exmoor also has a henge, near Parracombe, although it has been damaged
by ploughing. Alongside this, the moor bears a profusion of other
Bronze Age monuments, including between 300 and 400 round barrows,
standing stones, linear stone rows, and stone settings. The creation
of these different monument types might also explain why so few stone
circles were created here. Most of the surviving prehistoric stone
monuments on Exmoor are located on those areas of moorland outside the
limits of medieval and post-medieval agriculture. For this reason it
is likely that the surviving sites are not a reliable indicator of
their original extent.


                             Description                              
======================================================================
Porlock Stone Circle has a diameter of 24 m and a circumference of
approximately 77 m. The stones in the circle are green micaceous
sandstone originating from the Devonian period and were probably
collected in the local area. Following his excavation of several stone
settings, the archaeologist Mark Gillings argued that three forms of
stone were deliberately incorporated into the circle: small uprights,
low uprights, and larger stones that are positioned in a sloping
position. Most of the latter were thin wedges that had been
deliberately selected for their shape or flaked to give them a
tapering form. Commenting on those cases where the majority of the
stone is below ground rather than protruding from it, Gillings
suggested that such positioning may reflect a "deliberate inversion of
the upright stone ideal". This concept of inversion is also evident at
contemporary sites like the Holme timber circle in Norfolk and,
according to Gillings, might reflect "a strong chthonic element" to
Porlock Stone Circle.


Investigation in the 1920s found ten upright stones and eleven
prostrate ones, and concluded that there would have probably been
about forty-three stones in the circle, each spaced about 2 m apart.
The largest gaps in the circle were on its north-west and
east-southeast sides, where the stones may have been removed for use
as road metal. In 1950, it was noted that some of the stones had since
been disrupted by military training during the Second World War. When
the site was surveyed in 1989, thirteen stones remained in the circle,
several of which were found to be in different locations from the
1920s. A 2009 survey by the Exmoor National Park Authority found only
ten. A fuller archaeological investigation in 2013 revealed eleven
upright stones and eight fallen. Gillings noted that as it exists in
the twenty-first century, the circle is "clearly an amalgamation of
prehistoric and wholly modern standing stones".

Directly adjacent to the north-east of the circle is a cairn that has
been denuded, many of its stones being removed. There is a linear set
of small stones 57 m to the southeast of the circle's edge. First
recorded in 1975, at the time the row contained eight stones, six of
them upright, covering a length of 12 m. The stones were mostly very
small and barely visible in the turf and were spaced at around 0.88 m
intervals. In 2012, a burn of the heather revealed that there were
five more stones on the southeastern end of the row, indicating a
total distance of 35.23 m. The relationship between this stone row and
the stone circle is unclear because road construction and quarrying
have taken place in the area between the two. The trajectory of the
stone row would pass through the cairn adjacent to the circle.

Gillings argued that the stone row and cairn were part of a wider
monumental landscape incorporating Porlock Stone Circle. He suggested
that the cairn was built in the Early Bronze Age, with additions of
rough paving around its perimeter made in the Middle Bronze Age. He
also put forward the possibility that the stone circle was built
during the Middle Bronze Age as part of a wider "re-organisation of
the landscape" around the cairn.


 Romano-British use 
====================
During the 2013 excavation, a four-spoked lead wheel measuring 7 cm in
diameter was found buried in the circle. Although it could not be
unequivocally identified, it resembled Late Iron Age and early Roman
votive items that are sometimes found in Britain and (more commonly)
Gaul. If this identification is correct, it would suggest that Porlock
Stone Circle was known about and visited during the Romano-British
period.


 Investigation 
===============
The circle was rediscovered in the early 20th century by E. T.
MacDermot, a man who lived in the Lillycombe estate near Porlock. He
knew of several stones on Porlock Common but only noticed the wider
circle after the heather was burnt away. MacDermot was aware that the
archaeologist Harold St George Gray had investigated Exmoor's
Withypool Stone Circle in 1905, and informed him of the discovery. In
September and October 1928, Gray surveyed the Porlock circle with the
permission of the landowner. He also briefly excavated a small area in
the centre of the circle, where a dozen slabs of stone were revealed
but no charcoal.

In August 2009 a resistivity survey of the site was carried out by
Gillings and fellow archaeologist Jeremy Taylor, both of the
University of Leicester. They did so at the behest of the Exmoor
National Park Authority, which commissioned the research as part of
their Monument Management Scheme. This survey indicated that there had
been sub-rectangular structures situated around the circle at some
point in the past, although Gillings and Taylor acknowledged that
excavation would be required to determine at what period these
existed. Gillings oversaw this excavation in 2013. His team opened a
trench measuring 6 by around the circle's northern arc. No artefacts
from the period of original construction were revealed, nor were any
sealed, undisturbed deposits suitable for environmental sampling and
dating. A second trench was opened to examine stones located to the
east of the circle, which Gillings's team believed had been part of
the stone row.


 Heritage management 
=====================
The site has been scheduled as an ancient monument under the Ancient
Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979, giving it a level of
legal protection from alteration. Surveys have shown a marked
deterioration in its condition - in 1950 Gray could identify 21 stones
as part of the circle, but by 2009 the survey on behalf of Exmoor
National Park Authority found only 10. Stones have also been added to
the circle in recent years, and heritage managers face the question as
to whether they should be removed or accepted as part of the circle's
on-going biography.


                            External links                            
======================================================================
*
[https://www.exmoorher.co.uk/hbsmr-web/record.aspx?UID=MSO7898-Porlock-Stone-Circle
Porlock Stone Circle] at the Exmoor Historic Environment Record
* [http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36228 Porlock Stone
Circle] at Pastscape
* [http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=1209 Porlock Stone
Circle] at The Megalithic Portal
*
[http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/2220/porlock_stone_circle.html
Porlock Stone Circle] at The Modern Antiquarian


 License 
=========
All content on Gopherpedia comes from Wikipedia, and is licensed under CC-BY-SA
License URL: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
Original Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porlock Stone Circle


.