MY FIRST PORT FOR FREEBSD IS NOW AVAILABLE!
1 My first port for FreeBSD is now available!
Glee and happiness: my first port for FreeBSD has been validated and
accepted! You can now enjoy [audio/wmmp] to control `musicpd', [the
music player daemon]. Because it's a pretty effective stacking window
manager (and also probably because it reminds me of my first steps on
Unix), I've always kept a copy of Window Maker on my systems. There
are a few dockapps that I consider part of my default setup, and WMmp
was one of them. Was, because with the demise of the dockapps
repository dockapps.org, I thought I had lost it forever. Luckily, I
managed to find the sources somewhere and uploaded the thing first to
my private git repository, then to my public Github account. One day,
I decided the decent thing to do would be to make a port for
FreeBSD. By doing so, I found out that:
- `autoconf', `automake' and `libtool' are treacherous tools, kind of
a cross between [Nyarlatothep] and [Shub-Niggurath], where they
would pretend to help you when they are in fact laying millions of
eggs everywhere, under the same "configure.am", "configure.ac",
"Makefile.am". Things look good until you realise that half of your
disk is cluttered by all this mess. Also, I am now pretty sure the
[Necronomicon] is actually a configure script written in m4.
- The documentation for contributing a port could be clearer: given
the above and following [the guide for doing a quick port] I ended
up missing the fact that I already had some version of `autoconf'
installed, and thus didn't think to include it as an explicit
dependency. As a result, my first submission was quickly
dismissed. So, if the guide could be clearer to help half-wit like
me prepare ports, what is great is that bogus ports are effectively
filtered out before they can reach the official ports repository. It
would seem to me that following [the guide to slow porting] is not
just the best, but the only way to go. It's a bit more involved, as
you must set up an instance of `poudriere', but it's really worth
- CMake is the way to go. Instead of just fixing the dependencies, I
ended up migrating the thing to `cmake'. It's cleaner, quicker and
much, much easier to maintain.
I still need to update the port to point to the latest release, which
only cleans up a few uncessary files, and, as soon as I have time,
rework the application itself to have it rely on `libmpdclient'
proper, instead of the old `libmpdclient.c' interface file that comes
bundled with it, and that dates back to the dawn of time.
[the music player daemon] https://www.musicpd.org/
[the guide for doing a quick port]
[the guide to slow porting]