# Bitreich Branches
Bitreich has several branches which represent ideas of the current time
where the to be done work to change the software around us can be cate‐
gorized to a certain or certain tasks. New branches can be created just
by your work on them. Please try to collect them to have at least an in‐
## New Applications
* This branch can be abstracted further, when more software is produced.
* Write new applications.
* The first goal is to change existing software. If not possible, re‐
write as simple as possible.
## Graphical Interface
* Work on new graphical interface ideas.
* see tabbed(1)
* see dwm(1)
* see dmenu(1)
* Try to get existing graphical interfaces or toolkits to use the new
metaphors for the sake of our sanity. WIMP is dead.
Most libraries tend to be written in complex ugly programming languages,
but they do their task well. The basic fact that the solutions are writ‐
ten in ugly complex programming languages forces some other programmer
to rewrite a solution or some algorithm.
* Write commandline interfaces for ugly abstracted software.
## Ugly World
Big applications like for example libreoffice are enforced into our life
by public request. Easier access is needed to the ugly world.
* Collect or write small utilities, polish them and give examples in how
to access the ugly world out there in an easy way using the commandline.
## Code Cleanup
There is software out there which was written by some hobbyist but it
does a very good job.
* Collect small application, polish them and make them reusable.
Other software is really big but only got big by applying metaphors from
university which were never really understood but are annoying our life
just by their existence.
* Find software you daily use, find ugly for example object abstractions
and remove them using a good functional style. Then try to get the
patches into mainline.
New protocols are introduced to solve problems which have already been
solved by simpler protocols.
* Get people to use simple protocols by refurbishing old clients, writ‐
ing new software for the protocols and educating the world.
* see IRC
* see gopher